A Week of Firsts (Leading to a Change in Lifestyle)

This week saw several “first experiences” for me. It definitely threw me for a loop.

For about a week or so before this past Sunday, I had been having odd experiences. My site had become blurry more than usual to the point that I would think that I wasn’t even wearing my glasses. On top of that, I became twice as thirsty as usual. But I went about my business, hoping that things would improve. Since I work overnight, and began using an eye mask while I slept during the day. I read that if it is too tight, it can lead to blurry vision. So I stopped using it.

On Sunday, I got home from work and went about my day as normal. I spoke to my mother that morning, wishing her a happy mother’s day, and had plans to go with my fiancée to Texas Roadhouse that evening to celebrate her. So I went to sleep around 10 am. I woke up around noon and went to refill my drink. I was super thirsty. My fiancée asked my father to check my blood sugar.

He pulled out his meter and tested my blood. It read 600+. “That can’t be right” he said. He pulled out another meter and tested again… sure enough 600+ was the result. Needless to say, shortly after, I was on my way to the hospital. When I got there, I had the fastest experience going from walking in the door to being in a bed in the ER than I ever had before. Thus came my first “first.” They admitted me to stay overnight.

Up to this point in my life, I had never been admitted for an overnight stay. In fact, the only time that I had stayed in a hospital overnight was when my daughter was born. (That is another story altogether.)

During the stay (which turned out to be two nights), my blood sugar was brought down significantly. My vision was still blurry, however, so the doctor ordered first a CT scan and, when that came up clear, an MRI. Both of those were firsts for me. Having worked as a Patient Transport, I had taken many people to the CT scan and watched the machine do its work. So I was prepared for that, though I found it interesting actually being on the table this time.

I was a bit nervous for the MRI. I had heard plenty of stories about how it can effect people with claustrophobia. And I have that to a degree. But when I got down there (my nurse gave me some medicine to help relax me before going down), I found it wasn’t all that bad.

Of course, now being officially diabetic, I had a few other firsts as well.. checking my own sugar and giving myself an injection. I still flinch at the finger pricks and the needles are hit and miss as to whether I feel them. But I am managing.

All in all, I am getting through this sudden change. I have long had a sweet tooth and I am a picky eater, so that is an adjustment. I’ve even been going through a bit of depression. Still, I have a good support system around me. My father has been managing diabetes for 20+ years. My fiancée is doing her best to help me with my diet. My daughter has been giving me lots of love. My extended support is very helpful and I have been feeling lots of love from my friends and family.

Thank you to all of those who have lent me their support. Hopefully, as I get this managed, I will once again have the focus to get my writing going full steam ahead. In the meantime, I will focus on getting my health in order. Afterall, I have my daughter and another one on the way to think about.

1 Comment

  1. King kong says:

    Hi iam your new follower,,,


Leave a Comment

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s